top of page


Find answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions about our SCITT Programme


How is the course structured? Will I be busy full time?

As a SCITT programme we operate in line with the schools academic year starting early in September and finishing mid-July. Your days involve either training or placement and you will find this is a very busy year. We mix placement and training throughout the year which means all of our trainees have the opportunity to reflect on their placement and to link the theories offered in core training days. There are some block placement weeks but largely the weeks are a mix of placement and taught input. There are more training days towards the start of the year to support induction and less towards the end of the year.

Is this primary QTS? Will I be able to get a job teaching anywhere in primary?

Yes and yes. Our programme covers the curriculum from 3-7 BUT your qualification that results is for Primary QTS. We do have current alumni teaching very successfully in year six. We specialise in Early Years and believe that an understanding of child development can inform great teaching. We cover BOTH the EYFS and the National Curriculum for KS1 in detail and focus on national priorities such as early mathematics and early language. We are very proud of our 100% employment success rate of our trainees over the past 5 years.

Do I need to find my own placement?

No, we source the placement schools and work with a wide network of Nursery and Primary Schools across Birmingham, Solihull and Warwickshire. We do take into account where our trainees live and how they commute when we arrange placement. We also consider previous experience to try and provide a bespoke experience. All trainees undertake placement in BOTH EYFS and KS1 and we ensure that the two main placements provide a contrast.

Will I only see two schools?

Absolutely not. We believe that the initial teach training year should provide a breadth of opportunities. You will get to see practice across many of the settings in the partnership and we ask our trainees to host tours for their peers.

Do I get a Postgraduate qualification as well as QTS?

Yes. Our programme fulfils the requirements for 60 PG credits and we work closely with BCU on our academic standards. Three assignments, which link reflective practice to education theory, provide the basis for this. These are submitted in November, February and May to ensure students also have sufficient time at the end of the year to complete their teaching standards folders. On successful completion you can graduate at Symphony Hall, Birmingham with your Post Graduate Certificate or you have the option to continue your studies part time over 2 years to gain a full MA.

How big will the cohort be?

We are a small training provider who offers a bespoke opportunity. Our maximum group size would be 15 and often our cohort is smaller. We provide a personal experience and find we are able to respond to individual students needs.

What do I need to apply?

  • An undergraduate degree awarded by a UK higher education provider or recognised equivalent qualification.

  • Applicants are required to demonstrate academic achievement equivalent to level 4 in GCSE examinations in English, Maths and a Science subject.

  • Medical fitness: If offered a place, you will be sent a health questionnaire to find out about your

  • medical fitness.

  • If you have a disability, it is helpful if you give us full details on your application, so that training providers can try to make any adjustments you may need.

  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) in England and Wales: you will need to hold a DBS certificate.

  • If you studied outside the UK, check the UK ENIC website to find out if your qualifications are of an equivalent level to UK GCSEs, A levels, and an undergraduate degree. (

  • Declaration of criminal convictions: If you have a criminal record, it won't necessarily prevent you from becoming a teacher. You'll need to disclose any criminal convictions, cautions or bind-overs, and you'll need to agree to an enhanced criminal record check.

  • Classroom experience: We would strongly recommend that you have gained at least four weeks classroom experience to help prepare you to undertake training in a school-based route.

Can I apply for student finance?

There are a few different types of funding available for teacher training programmes - depending on your personal circumstances, you could be eligible to apply for multiple funding options. Visit our Fees and Funding page for more information.

Is financial support available to me if I am not a British citizen?

For courses starting on or after the 1 August 2021, you will be eligible for student finance if you have citizens’ rights (i.e. someone with settled status or if you are an Irish citizen covered by the Common Travel Area arrangement).

Student Finance England will ask you to provide evidence in order to be awarded undergraduate, postgraduate and further education financial support.

Someone with settled status under the EUSS; you’ll need:

  • evidence of your settled status

  • evidence that you have lived in the UK or Islands for at least the last 3 years before your course starts

EU nationals with pre-settled status; you’ll need:

  • evidence of your pre-settled status

  • evidence of your identity

  • evidence that you have lived in the UK, Gibraltar, EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland for at least the last 3 years before your course starts

More information about Fees and Funding can be found here.

What if I do not currently hold one or more of the required GCSE?

Many higher education institutions and other providers offer equivalency tests that you can sit, in order to obtain the required GCSE certificate(s) and grade(s).

GCSE Equivalency testing provided by Birmingham City University (our PGCE awarding body) is now live. Applicants should apply via this webpage, where you will also find FAQ’s that answer many applicant questions.

The process:

  1. BCU team receive an application and email a link to our online shop, allowing payment for the chosen courses.

  2. Once they receive a copy of the online shop receipt and photo ID at,uk theywill send out a link/s to the chosen course/s. Accepted Photo IDs: driving licence, passport or BRP and provided in jpeg or PdF format.

  3. Any applicant queries should be directed to the FAQ’s on the web page or to

What do past students think of their experience?

Scroll down for testimonials from some of our alumni.

I don’t live in Birmingham, can I relocate to undertake training?

Yes of course. Whilst we can not organize accommodation for you we are happy to signpost you to possible places you might wish to consider living for the year, be that student accommodation or a shared house with students or professionals. Birmingham is a young vibrant city with a large student population. CREC is centrally situated and easily accessible from the main areas popular with students and young professionals. See some links below:

Student life in Birmingham

Citizens Advice - student housing

National Union of Students - housing advice

BCU Student Accommodation

BCU Student Union Private Housing Advice

FAQs: Testimonials

"I have fully enjoyed my time at CREC and would recommend their SCITT to anyone looking at getting into teaching. The academic tutors and my placement mentors have been beyond supportive and tailored their learning to support each student's particular needs. I feel the course has prepared me for starting as an ECT and I would like to thank the team at CREC for their continued support, creative ways of teaching and their passion for the Early Years. "

Darian Bourke
2022/23 cohort

bottom of page